My Mary Wigham - Row 1

My Mary Wigham - Row 1

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Early Signs of Spring

In the March 1st edition of the Cleveland Plain Dealer ten early signs of spring in our area, according to the Cleveland MetroParks, were published.  They included:

Male redwinged blackbirds returning and already picking fights with each other.
Sugar maple trees starting to produce sap.
The famous buzzards of Hinkley, due there on March 15, have reached Cincinnati.
The eerie cackling of barred owls in the woods at night.
Chipmunks waking and coming up from under ground.
Robins are starting to look for worms in bare spots in the snow.
Chickadees are singing their fee bee spring song.
A section of the Valley Parkway is closed due to the annual salamander migration.
Skunk cabbage is in bloom.
Male cardinals are presenting females with prize sunflower seeds.

I was very excited yesterday to open the blinds and see two chipmunks running all over the yard.  They are light enough to be able to run atop the crust of the still pretty deep snow, and it was so much fun to watch.  They are some of my favorite little backyard friends, so I was glad to see them.

I have also noticed robins getting antsy about finding food.  I'm sure they would love to be looking for worms in bare spots in the snow, but we don't have any of those yet!  I have also heard the chickadees' song, although I didn't realize that this was their spring song.  It sounds like a creaky playground swing. I'll have to pay more attention to see if I can spot any male cardinals courting their spring loves.  Isn't spring wonderful?

What signs of spring have you seen?

2 comments:

  1. Lots of grass showing and if I look out the bathroom window, I can see the starts of daffodils poking through!! YEA!!! Also the sun peaked through just as we finished dinner tonite. Weather forecast shows 52 on Saturday!!!

    Snow will be gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great forecast. I saw daffs up about 3 inches at the library...a foot and a half of snow ago. We'll probably see them again soon!

    ReplyDelete